[WikiEN-l] Looking at the real world

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Sep 3 04:28:43 UTC 2005

James D. Forrester wrote:

>geni wrote:
>

>>On 9/2/05, Skyring <skyring at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>In the past day, [[user:jtdirl]] has published my name and address, and
>>>[[user:mackensen]] has accused me of criminal acts.
>>>

>>People who play with fire get burned.
>>

>And further, accessing a computer system without authorisation is
>illegal in the US, the UK, and Australia, to name but a few countries;
>given that you are banned from Wikipedia, any edits that you were to
>make would constitute such an illegal act. Several sysops, and not just
>Mackensen, have suggested that you may well be doing this, violating
>your ban order. Perhaps you might want to think about finding another
>place to play, Skyring?

I would have a hard time using this to justify the publication of
someone's personal information on Wikipedia.  If it were some serious
alleged crime, such as death threats, perhaps that would be warranted,
but evading a ban doesn't rise to the level where I would be comfortable
"outing" people.  At least during the period when I was on the ArbCom,
when we used evidence of people's real identies or even IPs to ban
sockpuppets and reincarnations, we didn't publish that evidence publicly
on the wiki.

-Mark