[WikiEN-l] Re: Can you trust Wikipedia?

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sun Oct 30 11:03:34 UTC 2005

> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: Can you trust Wikipedia?
> Since at least
> post-WW2, though, most encyclopedias would claim that their goal is
> unbiased presentation of information, not presentation of an
> Anglo-American or otherwise skewed viewpoint.

Oh? It was widely reported circa 1999 that the U. S. version of
Encarta says Edison invented the light bulb while the U. K.
U. K. version credits Swann.

Encarta no longer seems to be free-as-in-beer, so I can't
cast much light on the current situation of this heated topic.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/