[WikiEN-l] Re: Can you trust Wikipedia?

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 29 19:17:09 UTC 2005

Puddl Duk wrote

>Well, I hope it doesn't take another 45 years to sift through and
organise all our submissions :)

It might take a generation before WP's impact can properly be assessed.

>But we are going to have to adapt or we'll be relpaced.

There are simple scenarios in which WP is replaced within 6 months.  Some
billionaire throws $100 million at cloning the content and putting 50
developers on a crash project to upgrade (streaming video, segmentation of
pages, parental filtering, automatic inference to a stable page version, pro
major topic editors, all the gimmicks you'd come up with). We all go there
to edit.  But that's a huge win as long as it's still GDFL, and run by the
community.  (Well, the management side miight be pants, in which case we all
come back to WP.)

'Being replaced' is kind of a tribute, not a worry.

Charles