[WikiEN-l] New Ideas for AfD

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 29 11:01:06 UTC 2005

geni wrote:

>On 10/27/05, Philip Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Your opinion, while interesting, is kind of notable for utterly
>>contradicting what Jimbo has said repeatedly about the community, and
>>the fact that we are not a democracy.
>>
>>-Snowspinner
>>

>I try to be a realist. The current size of the project means that we
>know have people or even groups of people who will never agree on
>anything ever. The time needed to carry out the length of debate
>needed to get anything close to consensus is now so long that if we
>want a result withing a decade we have to use supermajority rather
>than consensus. No amout of jumping up and down saying wikipedia is
>not a democracy is going to change that.
>
>Fortunetly when it comes to individual articles the number of people
>involved is small enough that consensus is still posible in a large
>number of cases.

By presuming that there can be no easy agreement you don't give it a
chance to happen.  If is takes a little longer that's far more
acceptable than the confrontational approach that has been prevailing
lately.  You would be surprised by the positive resultes you would get
by showing a little good faith.

Ec