[WikiEN-l] How do I edit a page from inside China?

Christopher Maloney voldrani at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 14:47:53 UTC 2005

As most of you probably know, China has recently blocked (again)
access to Wikipedia.  I've gotten around their Great Firewall by
installing tor, but now, I find that my edit access to pages is
blocked, because I appear to be coming from an open proxy.

I don't understand why my edit access is blocked, even though I'm
logged in as a valid user (Klortho).  I'm sure there's a good reason,
but I don't understand it.  Anyway, is there any way around this?  I
certainly hope so, because it seems ironic to me that Wikipedia, in
effect, puts up an additional barrier to Chinese people wanting to
express themselves (in addition to the censorship by the government,
that is).