[WikiEN-l] Deletion again

Snowspinner Snowspinner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 23:19:19 UTC 2005

Some time ago, I bemoaned the fact that our poor treatment of
webcomics topics had led to a fork, and that we were going to lose
webcomics contributors.

For those who did not believe me, I point to http://www.websnark.com/
archives/2005/10/on_the_other_ha_13.html

Websnark is one of the three big sites in webcomics commentary. The
writer of that entry, Eric Burns, has an article, his blog has an
article, he maintains two comics, and writes for both of the other
two big sites - Comixpedia and the Webcomics Examiner. He is not an
idiot. He knows what he is talking about on webcomics.

And he's right here. Deletions are being carried out by people who
know nothing about the subject. The opinions of people who do (I will
admit, I am referring to myself - but go ahead and see
[[User:Snowspinner/Webcomics]] if you like - my credentials are
existent here) are being counted the same as the clueless.
Explanations of notability are disregarded - people are making the
assertion that webcomics that are a part of professional syndicates -
the webcomic equivalent of KIng Features - aren't notable. When
linked to the site of a syndicate that clearly lists a comic among
its members, they claim this is not a reliable source.

I don't know how many times I can continue to put this in new and
innovative ways. Deletion is broken. We are making mistakes. Our
mistakes are costing us contributors. They are costing us good
contributors.

We need a solution here. Not hand-wringing and a conviction that we
should come up with a solution. We need a damn solution, and we need
it back before Comixpedia split off in the first place.

Here's a first stab - people with documentable credentials in an area
that would, in the eyes of a reasonable layman, qualify them to make
a decision on the importance of a topic will be allowed to speedy
keep articles in the area of their credentials.

-Snowspinner