[WikiEN-l] Oour quality could rival Encyclopedia Britannica (was: Guardia...

Koltwills at aol.com Koltwills at aol.com
Mon Oct 24 16:16:24 UTC 2005

In a message dated 10/24/2005 11:53:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com writes:

This  tells me two things:

(1) We don't pay enough attention to quality.  Lousy articles can lie
around for months or years, collecting  dust.

(2) When we put our minds to it, we can polish one of these  decaying
relics and out-do Britannica!

What conclusion can we draw  from this? I'd like to hear some discussion
on this,  please.

I don't know about conclusions.  Nor do I really know what kind of  checks
and balances exist for catching the garbage that all too often finds its  way
into articles on the site.

A few weeks back, I came across a passage that flat-out said that the only
contact the outside world had with sub-Saharan Africa in pre-modern times was
related to the spread of diseases like malaria.  This incredibly ignorant
language had been in the article for almost a year and-a-half, completely
undisturbed.  And there supposedly is a effort of some sort to beef
up/improve/contribute articles on Africa.  The contributor was anonymous --  probably a
racist troll.

It surprises me not one whit that the reviewers found Wikipedia to be an
unreliable source of information.  I've found it to be rife with
mis/disinformation.  In fact, it's about the only thing that keeps me  coming back to edit.
It's a noble effort, but some of the things I've read  are nothing short of
shameful.

deeceevoice