[WikiEN-l] Re: policy on breaches of bans

Simone Pantaleo simone.pantaleo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 22:53:24 UTC 2005

Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:
> We can't block his IP-range, if understand it he's editing from
> 203.xxx and 141.xxx. That's 1/128th of the entire internet
> (approximately)! Anyway, we really shouldn't permablock any IPs. As
> for dealing with this user, what else can we do? I mean, he is in
> essence banned for ever (I doubt he'd give up for an entire year,
> just to come back and be a nice, productive member of the wikipedia
> community). What can we do except to revert and block his socks?

Hate to break the news to you all.. but if you did decide to block the
intire Telstra IP range you will block not only the offending users/editors
but innocent users (like me for instance i am telstra broadband... i am
thinking those are IP address for a dial up connection though but i am not
sure) as far as how we should address breaches on bans... I have a few ideas
(parctually as it pertains to unregiested users-- will post something later
this weekend australian time on my user page wildkitten1205 @
wikipedia.org<http://wikipedia.org>)
as i had to wack a annoying vandal (who was unregeisted) with the help of an
admin last night and it got me thinking.