[WikiEN-l] Re: Policy on breaches of bans

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Oct 23 15:36:30 UTC 2005

Alphax wrote:
> Lisa Thurston wrote:
>
>>>On the topic of Skyring...
>>>
>>>I think I've had my IP address blocked too many times because it is
>>>dynamically allocated to me by Agile and someone using that IP before me has
>>>vandalised WP. It used to be frustrating to always have to email the admin
>>>to get unblocked. Now I worked out a new method though. I simply reset the
>>>internet connection and the IP gets changed quickly, so I'm sure it's no
>>>difficulty for Skyring to do the same.
>>>
>>>I remember once asking Internode (Agile) if they'd do anything about someone
>>>using a specific IP to misbehave on Wikipedia. They said not without a
>>>request (or subpoena) from local police! If Wikipedia wants to rule with an
>>>iron fist then it would have to make agreements with local authorities. But
>>>I don't think this would really be a good thing for Wikipedia in the end.
>>>I'm certain their are other approaches to managing bad faith edits.
>>>

> As we found out, it seems that half of Internode ends up going through
> the same proxy. Unfortunately, this applies to their home, business, and
> corporate (eg. State Library, TAFE) users as well...

The Internode proxies 203.26.206.129 and 203.26.206.130 have been on our
trusted XFF list for a few weeks, although they have a nasty habit of
randomly giving 10/8 addresses, so you might still see some edits coming
from them occasionally. It's the same setup as for NTL, so read this
post if you want more explanation:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2005-September/031369.html

(btw Lisa, how did your interview with ABC Radio Central go?)

-- Tim Starling