[WikiEN-l] What Readers Say on Inclusion

Michael P Hopcroft michael at mphpress.com
Sun Oct 23 02:59:48 UTC 2005

JAY JG wrote:

> Actually, we're trying to build an *encyclopedia* that anyone can
> edit; it astonishes me that people keep forgetting this.
If I'm not talking out of turn, that may be the heart of the problem. An
encyclopedia is, by definition, an overview of reliable, verifiable
information that can be of use in doing groundwork for research on a
topic. the fatc that anyone can edit any article, or create an article,
means that the purpose of the exercise was already defeated at the
beginning.

Wikipedia is many things, many of them good, but by definition it
*cannot* be a true encyclopedia.