[WikiEN-l] Re: Policy on breaches of bans

Lisa Thurston lisathurston at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 02:21:00 UTC 2005

On the topic of Skyring...

I think I've had my IP address blocked too many times because it is
dynamically allocated to me by Agile and someone using that IP before me has
vandalised WP. It used to be frustrating to always have to email the admin
to get unblocked. Now I worked out a new method though. I simply reset the
internet connection and the IP gets changed quickly, so I'm sure it's no
difficulty for Skyring to do the same.

I remember once asking Internode (Agile) if they'd do anything about someone
using a specific IP to misbehave on Wikipedia. They said not without a
request (or subpoena) from local police! If Wikipedia wants to rule with an
iron fist then it would have to make agreements with local authorities. But
I don't think this would really be a good thing for Wikipedia in the end.
I'm certain their are other approaches to managing bad faith edits.

The problem seems to actually be the use short term sockpuppets by
experienced vandals.

I'm not sure if I like the idea that one of us suggested (that users gain
"experience points" like in a MUD) because it is just another way for
newbies to be discriminated against even for good faith edits. But perhaps a
"edit faith quality level" could be maintained for each user and it would
take only say 5 days with at least 5 good faith edits or 50 good faith edits
for a new user to be ramped up to 100%.

Presumably it would be easy to profile the behaviour of an experienced user
who creates a sockpuppet vs an inexperienced user who creates a new account
for the first time. And based on matching this profile, the software would
delay the increase of "edit faith level". This might delay legitimate good
faith sockpuppets for a few more days or so before their "faith quality
level" would reach 100%, but would help keep control on shortterm
sockpuppets created specifically to be used for bad faith edits.

Lisa