[WikiEN-l] Questionable fair use claims: a case study

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Thu Oct 20 19:08:34 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>uninvited at nerstrand.net wrote:
>
>>[[:Image:Pgsafjak3.JPG]]
>>
>>I offer this up as an example of some process problems we have in
>>dealing with invalid fair use claims.
>>

>And in my opinion, we should move to a policy situation where you would
>not have to go through the rigamarole you had to go through with this
>image.  You should have been able to delete it on sight as being
>tantamount to vandalism, which it essentially is.

This is the kind of situation where you might want to throw around
some of your personal authority; there are a lot of editors not
getting the message (or not wishing to accept it), and some in-WP
pronouncements on a especially egregious offenders can be usefully
quoted by your minions^Wenforcers.

>We have this strange social culture built up around images which I
>believe is caused mostly by the fact that image deletion is instantly
>permanent, rather than being something that can be reverted.  If we
>could revert image deletions as easily (or nearly as easily) as we
>revert deletions of random bits of unacceptable text, we would be much
>better able to pick and choose images wisely.

Fewer people seem to have cameras than I would have imagined. It took
me all of two minutes to roll my [[lawn mower]] out and make original
images for the article, but we still have all these people uploading
the first poor thumbnail of a commonplace object that Google finds
for them.

Stan