[WikiEN-l] Quality vs. consensus (was: Meanwhile, AfD grinds on)

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu Oct 20 08:27:38 UTC 2005

G'day Jeff,

> Ray Saintonge wrote:
<snip />
>> Effective consensus depends on having effective community.  Consensus
>> that is motivated by being right and winninbg your point is not much
>> of a consensus.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "winning your point", but why is being
> right NOT a good motivation? I'm having a hard time thinking of a better
> one.

I can't really speak for Ray on this one --- but I'll try to adopt a
Canadian accent and give it a jolly good burl.  (Ray's Canadian, right?)

   By "motivated by being right and winninbg your point" heI doesn't mean
   "Person X is motivated because he's right", eh.  Rather, heI means
   that Person X believes that, if she can just swing enough votes
   towards her argument through whatever means she can effect, then
   that's as good as having been right in the first place, eh.

Assuming that Ihe means what Ihe think heI means, Ihe reckons it's a
beaut point.  Over to you, Ray --- was I close?

--
Mark Gallagher
0439 704 975