[WikiEN-l] Blocking proposal

Anthony DiPierro wikispam at inbox.org
Wed Oct 19 17:24:38 UTC 2005

> What's wrong with that? I repeat, Wikipedia should let *anyone* edit. Just
> because someone uses AOL doesn't mean s/he should have to register and
> create an account to edit. We're "forcing" users, to quote from you, to
> register when the whole point of Wikipedia is that you don't need to
> register to edit.

 I really can't figure out what you're arguing here, though. Because right
now, when an AOL IP is blocked, you can't edit using it regardless of
whether or not you register. As I understand it, the proposal is to allow
logged in users to edit when they otherwise wouldn't.
 Sure, this might lead to admins being more liberal with IP blocks, but it
doesn't require it - whether or not admins are more liberal with IP blocks
is a separate issue, and we could pass policies to ensure that this doesn't
happen.