[WikiEN-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Placeopedia

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 18:27:14 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>I put latitude and longitude on a bunch of my images on the commons. It'd be
>nice if there was a standard for that, and we could probably tag a large
>portion of the images there.

How about a general format like:

{{geotag|system|place|locator[|reference system]}}

so that there could be any of  the following (nonsense examples with
fake data):

{{geotag|OSGB|Kentish town|TQ 763 124}}

{{geotag|UTM|White House|8SUU8401}}

{{geotag|lat_long_dms|Burkina Faso|45:30:30 N 15:25:20 E|WGS84}}

{{geotag|lat_long_decimal|Burkina Faso|45.625 N 15.123 E|WGS84}}

At the start, these could just be display templates that generate (say)
a little system-specific icon and text in a box, but they could be soon
changed to expand to contain directives such as (say)

<geotag fmt="OSGB" place="Kentish town" locator="TQ 763 124" reference=""/>

to be processed by a specialized geotag extension that is capable of
parsing each of the specified formats, and inter-converting between the
different formats and coordinate systems.

-- Neil