[WikiEN-l] NTL

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 12:44:24 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:
>On 10/17/05, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note that the NTL problem has been solved (presumably through some
>> horribly ugly special cases in the MediaWiki code) -

>My understanding is that NTL passes the client IP via a standard
>protocol and MediaWiki simply interprets it in the standard manner.
>The only place where it gets hairy is that, as I understand it, some
>anonymizing proxies also use this protocol and forward a spoofed IP,
>so you do need to maintain a list of proxies that can be trusted.

Semi-standard - it uses an X-Forwarded-From header and sometimes it
reverses the order of the octets (for no good reason).

That said, I just spotted a MARMOT sock (User:Captain Kreuk and a few
others) with his IP showing as the NTL proxy address, not his actual
address. Bother.

(cc'd to wikitech-l - is this a reportable bug, or hadn't the
NTL-checking code kicked in at that point?)

- d.