[WikiEN-l] VFU is utterly beyond hope

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 22:39:05 UTC 2005

On 10/16/05, Snowspinner <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> In which case your real argument is that we don't need VFU because
> AfD is flawless - an argument that is not so much a straw man as self-
> evidently absurd.

Quite.

We have long ago reached the point where AfD closers sometimes felt
that they had to close an article as a deletion, even though, in Doc's
words,  "the AfD consensus was illogical." I mean, this was the actual
opinion of the guy who pulled the plug.

Doc has even greater reservations about my unilateral action, but fuck
it, this isn't about me. It's about a screwed-up process that is not
remedying blatantly bad decisions.

Doc says: "I think you could at least have waited to see if the VfU
process would have come to the right result."

Well no.  Because a number of VFU regulars continue to claim loudly,
if falsely, and to the point where anyone who claims otherwise is
treated as a heretic, that content must not be considered as a reason
for undeletion.

When I quoted the actual undeletion policy (which says the opposite)
this text was removed from the page on the grounds that practice
dictated policy.  In other words, those who couldn't be bothered to
check the policy falsely claimed that their ignorant actions
constituted de facto policy.

There's something deeply wrong with this.  If some people see the
Wolters article as a vanity article, they're entitled to their
opinion, but please, let's not permit such thinking to cause articles
to be deleted.