[WikiEN-l] Strange and unfair RfC/user process

Bishonen bishonen at ungoodthinkful.com
Sun Oct 16 21:49:54 UTC 2005

chris at starglade.org wrote:

 >>actionforum at comcast.net wrote:
 >> The signed the statement of Dispute and then notified me.  They
shouldn't be
 >> changing it underneath my responses.  Yes, I could quote them,
because they might
 >> delete from underneath me, but what is an RfC/user doing lacking
even the basic
 >> integrity of a talk page.  You were right the first time.  It is
a blockable >>offense.   But I wanted >you to know that some of the
community seems to think >>nothing of this behavior.
 >                  -- Silverback

 >(could you turn on word wrap in your email client please).

 >It is a blockable offence to modify other users' statements, not your
 >own. It is definitely dubious if people modify their original
statements
 >to make replies by another person sound out-of-place, but not
blockable.

 >I think you should quote the original version of the text you are
 >replying to, adding it into your statement. I suggest you ask the
people
 >who are changing the text to stop, but I would caution against
accusing
 >them of trying to make your replies out-of-context (question the
action,
 >not the motive). This also assumes good faith, if you request
politely.

 >Chris

Er. Yes, that would assume good faith, wouldn't it. I like your
advice, Chris, but it's been kind of mooted by Silverbacks recent
editing on the wiki. He has been edit warring aggressively on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Silverback

to revert the changes (=minor corrections and updates) that he's
talking about, accused User:172 repeatedly of vandalism for making
them, posted {{test3}} vandalism warnings on the talk pages of 172
and User:Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters, and, believe it or not, posted  a
"severe vandalism" report about the issue on [[WP:VIP]], here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
title=Wikipedia:Vandalism_in_progress&diff=25667676&oldid=25666928#RU_Se
vere

Please see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Requests_for_comment/
Silverback

where he is still expressing outrage and condemnation, if you're
interested. I had already recommended Silverback to write something
like what you suggest in his own RfC statement--apart from
considerations of courtesy it just seems a much *simpler* thing to do
than all the reverts and threats and accusations--but I guess he
doesn't want to.

I hope the wrapping doesn't break my links, or that they won't be
really hard to fix if it does, sorry I'm not good at these things.

Bishonen