[WikiEN-l] Merge vs. Keep/Delete (was: Dispute resolution attempt in the Ashida Kim case)

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 8 02:07:33 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:

>I wonder if we could agree to change policy to permit an administrator to
>"speedy redirect" a merge candidate and close an AfD where notability is the
>sole or principal reason given for deletion, or no reason is given. This
>would be a good way of ensuring that the possibility of merging articles was
>not unreasonably neglected. An article could always be renominated if good
>faith attempts to merge had failed.

I endorse that, although I don't see why the authority to
merge-and-redirect should be limited to administrators. I've always
found the resistance to merges puzzling. It's almost as bad as the
polarizing notion that deletion debates orbit the twin suns of Keep and
Delete, which are the only possible outcomes, and a "vote" to merge is
in reality to be reinterpreted as a vote for one of these binary stars
(which one depends on who's arguing). An argument for a merge is just
that, and in these cases it's often by far the best solution.

--Michael Snow