[WikiEN-l] a valid criticism

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Oct 6 21:40:46 UTC 2005

Chip Berlet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just out of curiosity, what specifically about the Jane Fonda entry is "crap?"
>
> POV?  Writing Style? Focus of Content? Rough text?

In the current examples, I'm mainly focussed on writing style.

"Her nickname as a youth—Lady Jane—was one she reportedly disliked. She
traveled to Communist Russia in 1964 and was impressed by the people,
who welcomed her warmly as Henry's daughter. In the mid-1960s she bought
a farm outside of Paris, had it renovated and personally started a
garden. She visited Andy Warhol's Factory in 1966. About her 1971 Oscar
win, her father Henry said: "How in hell would you like to have been in
this business as long as I and have one of your kids win an Oscar before
you do?" Jane was on the cover of Life magazine, March 29, 1968."

This is a motley collection of facts, poorly expressed, poorly
organized, and without context.

--Jimbo