[WikiEN-l] Autoblocking, reverts, and verifiability

Kat Walsh mindspillage at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 18:57:04 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/6/05, Michael Turley <michael.turley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, the amount of policy a person has to absorb to become socialized
> > at Wikipedia IS stupefying.  There's a lot to think about and remember
> > when you just get started.
>
> I never really noticed that.  I was here for months before I read all
> that much of policy.  There are quite a few I still haven't read and
> I've been an admin since June.
>
> If you have some basic common sense, and access to a trusted peer
> group (i.e. Kat, who *has* read all of the policy and is easy to talk
> to on IRC...) who also has common sense, you barely need to read the
> published policy.
>
> Kelly

By this she means that I've spent too much time burying my head in the
Wikipedia namespace and hanging around chattering instead of doing
anything useful. ;-)

I do think that the Simplified Ruleset should be enough policy for
anyone to jump in with, and that newbies should get a lot of leeway
for a while if they're genuinely trying to contribute well.

The peer group is useful. For all the criticism the IRC channel gets,
I've seen quite a few people talked out of poor decisions and helped
with procedures and understanding of them;  the immediacy of responses
and the large numbers of people around does help, when there are
people around who will offer good advice. (When there aren't, well...
not so much.)

-Kat
[[User:Mindspillage]]

--
"There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily
escaped the chronicler's mind."  --Douglas Adams