[WikiEN-l] How many Arbitrators should we have?

Phroziac phroziac at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 18:26:27 UTC 2005

DF wrote:
> On 10/6/05, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Michael Turley wrote:
>>

>>>There are a lot of current administrators that
>
> I've either voted to
>
>>>support, or simply refused to vote oppose in their
>
> RfA that I
>
>>>would never consider supporting in the position of
>
> an arbitrator.
>
>>>If I'd thought that one future day they'd get
>
> handed the authority
>
>>>to arbitrate in any way stronger than they now can
>
> (by blocking,
>
>>>page locking, etc) it would certainly have been
>
> less "no big deal"
>
>>>and a lot more "let's screen these people very
>
> carefully".
>

>>All right, then. How would you suggest we choose
>
> them?
>
> I also agree with what has been said by Turley and
> others.  Arbitration is not something I would trust to
> every admin, and there are at least a couple admins
> that I would shudder to see given binding judicial
> powers.
>
> How about a mixed system?  First, have a Supreme Court
> (or whatever we want to call it) whose membership is
> fixed in number and determined through an election
> process such as governs Arbcom now.  And then have
> lesser courts/magistrates/whatever confirmed through a
> process of community consensus such as occurs in RFA
> now?
Sounds good to me. Maybe we should make the current Requests for
arbitration into a supreme court, rename it. Then make the lesser courts
be called Requests for arbitration. These would be seperated like page
RFCs are. "Excessive reverters", "complete trolls", "POV pushers", etc.
Then the supreme court (whatever it's called) could be appealed to like
me do to Jimbo, and they could accept the case and look into it. There'd
still be Jimbo above them, but hopefully less people would appeal to
him. He's very busy, as we all know. Doesn't everyone in arbitration
appeal to him currently?

- --
Phroziac                    |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
OpenPGP key ID: 0xC2AF5417  |    X   Against HTML email & vCards
http://tinyurl.com/anya2    |   / \
(Computer clock currently thinks it should be set to UTC.)