[WikiEN-l] How many Arbitrators should we have?

DF dragons_flight at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 18:11:21 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com>
wrote:
>Michael Turley wrote:
>

> > There are a lot of current administrators that
I've either voted to
> > support, or simply refused to vote oppose in their
RfA that I
> > would never consider supporting in the position of
an arbitrator.
> > If I'd thought that one future day they'd get
handed the authority
> > to arbitrate in any way stronger than they now can
(by blocking,
> > page locking, etc) it would certainly have been
less "no big deal"
> > and a lot more "let's screen these people very
carefully".

> All right, then. How would you suggest we choose
them?

I also agree with what has been said by Turley and
others.  Arbitration is not something I would trust to
every admin, and there are at least a couple admins
that I would shudder to see given binding judicial
powers.

How about a mixed system?  First, have a Supreme Court
(or whatever we want to call it) whose membership is
fixed in number and determined through an election
process such as governs Arbcom now.  And then have
lesser courts/magistrates/whatever confirmed through a
process of community consensus such as occurs in RFA
now?

-DF