[WikiEN-l] Autoblocking, reverts, and verifiability

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:51:07 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/6/05, Michael Turley <michael.turley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, the amount of policy a person has to absorb to become socialized
> > at Wikipedia IS stupefying.  There's a lot to think about and remember
> > when you just get started.
>
> I never really noticed that.  I was here for months before I read all
> that much of policy.  There are quite a few I still haven't read and
> I've been an admin since June.
>
> If you have some basic common sense, and access to a trusted peer
> group (i.e. Kat, who *has* read all of the policy and is easy to talk
> to on IRC...) who also has common sense, you barely need to read the
> published policy.

I came here alone; I didn't have trusted peer group to guide me.  Some
people are more bold, some more cautious.

I wanted to make sure my edits were "proper" before committing them,
after all, they are in the edit history FOREVER ;-), so I did more
than an afternoon's worth of reading before my first logged-in post.
My initial thoughts were "What would be worse for establishing your
reputation than having a crappy first edit?"  Yet I still neglected to
use an edit summary!  Doh!

--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused