[WikiEN-l] Paper is not paper

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 5 02:27:09 UTC 2005

Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:

> It is frequently said that Wikipedia is not paper. Specifically,
> "Wikipedia is not a paper encyclopedia. This means that there is no
> practical limit to number of topics we can cover other than
> verifiability and the other points presented on this page."
>
> But paper is not paper, either. That is, paper encyclopedias are NOT
> physically limited in size. Some encylopedias (Columbia) have one
> volume. Some have more. The first edition of the Encyclopedia
> Britannica had three volumes; the Eleventh Edition had 29. The
> current Britannica 3 has 32 volumes.

The 12th edition from 1922 also had 32 volumes.

> (By the way, the Britannica states, rather hyperbolically, that those
> 32 volumes offer "a boundless range of information.")

And we run out of bounds from the boundless

> Is the print Britannica limited to 32 volumes by some kind of
> physical law? Certainly not. In fact, tens of thousands of households
> that purchase print encyclopedias wisely or foolish subscribe to
> yearbook programs, often for many years, until they get tired of
> gluing little cross-reference stickers into their volumes. So the
> number of books on the shelf actually grows.
>
> But there is a practical limit of about thirty volumes for a print
> publication, isn't there? No, there isn't. The existence proof is any
> journal. Journals can and do grow linearly, year after year, into
> long rows of bound volumes which libraries, if not homes, manage to
> find room for on their shelves. I am sure that some homes have more
> than 30 bound-volumes-worth of the National Geographic neatly stacked
> up in attics or basements.
>
> So what DOES set the limit to what an encyclopedia can include? It is
> not any physical characteristic, whether measured in quarto leaves or
> in bytes.

IIRC there was a time when the Britannica was sold door-to-door in
communities where reading was not a routine practice. One had to impress
the neighbours.  So along with the books you would receive a lovely
wooden bookcase to contain them.  The set of books had to fit in the
bookcase, with a little room left over for the next few yearbooks that
could be part of the subsciption.