[WikiEN-l] Re: 3RR

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Oct 4 19:01:35 UTC 2005

Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:

>> From: steve v <vertigosteve at yahoo.com>
>>
>> Easy to say. You dont have right-wing nutcases tag
>> team reverting your rewrites.
>

> That's a difficult problem, maybe impossible.
>
> But it can't be solved by Wikilawyering the number of reverts
> complaining about what computer programmers call "fencepost errors"
> in counting reverts, or when 24 hours begins, or whether you get an
> extra hour if the change from Daylight Savings to standard time
> happens during the 24 hours... or anything like that.
>
> All I can say is that fussing about how many reverts you get to make
> and whether some sysop counted them properly isn't going to help.

The 3RR does nothing more than cool down a debate for a little while.
It has nothing to do with the substance of the debate.  Whatever the
state of a particular article when the 3RR is invoked it still needs
work before a solution can be found.

If I were in such an edit war, I could carefully follow the time limits,
and be perfectly within the rules when my fourt revert was entered 24
hours and one minute after the clock started running, but the biggest
criticism of that practice is that I would be wasting my own time.

Ec