[WikiEN-l] Re: 3RR

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Tue Oct 4 02:21:43 UTC 2005

> From: steve v <vertigosteve at yahoo.com>
>
> Easy to say. You dont have right-wing nutcases tag
> team reverting your rewrites.

That's a difficult problem, maybe impossible.

But it can't be solved by Wikilawyering the number of reverts
complaining about what computer programmers call "fencepost errors"
in counting reverts, or when 24 hours begins, or whether you get an
extra hour if the change from Daylight Savings to standard time
happens during the 24 hours... or anything like that.

Although Wikipedia is not supposed to be majoritarian, if you have a
garden-variety revert war between one person and many, yes, the many
can effectively impose their will. As far as I know, the only remedy
is to patiently conduct discussions, gain consensus, and then ask for
help when you can show that people are reverting against consensus.

That may not work, either.

All I can say is that fussing about how many reverts you get to make
and whether some sysop counted them properly isn't going to help.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/