[WikiEN-l] Afd nominations

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:58:51 UTC 2005

On 10/3/05, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Surely third-party verifiability takes care of this one. If someone
> > > else cares to write something verifiable about it, it should get in.
> > >
> > My point is that far too often, it's not "someone else" doing the
> > writing. Hence the use of the word vanity.
>

> If this is true in general of non-notability deletion listings of articles
> about comics, bands, schools and whatnot, it's news to me. Are you
> absolutely *sure* that non-notability deletions on Wikipedia are usually
> simply because the person writing the article is not a third party but is
> someone associated with their production, operation or distribution? Because
> that's what you seem to be saying.

I probably wasn't entirely clear. What I was saying is that there's a
lot of people that try to glorify a particular subject they admire
which has no reason to be in an encyclopedia to begin with. I
subscribe to the belief we can't have an article on every single
website or band in the world, so cut-offs and inclusion criteria are
the next logical step. What those criteria should be in order to keep
out the drivel and keep in useful stuff could be up for debate.

For example, books should have a 5000 people audience according to
current guidelines. Since webcomics don't have the limitation of being
released in one country and not in another, the potential audience for
it is larger, so I see 5000 people audience as a reasonable criterion
for inclusion of a certain webcomic.

Popularity should be just as verifiable as everything else, so if you
come across a comic with ghastly google and Alexa ranking and a ghost
town of a forum, it's reasonable to assume it's not popular as
claimed, despite what the article may claim.

--Mgm