[WikiEN-l] Afd nominations

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Oct 3 15:29:21 UTC 2005

JAY JG wrote:

> I view the claims that Wikipedia has no notability requirements as an
> extreme position, and one incompatible with creating an encyclopedia
> (as opposed to a giant repository of all known facts).  While
> Wikipedia has no *explicit* notability policies, I think notability
> requirements are implicit in both its existing policies and its
> fundamental mandate.

Implicit policies are only valid as long as everybody reads them the
same way.  Verbal contracts are recognized by courts, but establishing
the details of such contracts is full of difficulty because nobody
understands the situation in the same way.  That problem is at least
partially solved in an explicitly written contract.  If a notability
rule is so important it should be made explicit, but I suspect that any
attempt to do so with meet with significant resistance.

Ec