[WikiEN-l] Afd nominations

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 01:35:18 UTC 2005

>From: Philip Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com>
>
>On Oct 2, 2005, at 8:59 PM, JAY JG wrote:
>>
>>I view the claims that Wikipedia has no notability requirements as  an
>>extreme position, and one incompatible with creating an  encyclopedia (as
>>opposed to a giant repository of all known facts).
>>

>Didn't I read something about imagining a world where every person  has
>free access to the sum of all human knowledge? And about that  being what
>we're doing?

To begin with, I do not think we should insist that every policy in
Wikipedia be completely internally consistent, nor should we insist on that
requirement for every statement by our fearless leader.  There are natural
conflicts that arise when one simultaneously tries to provide maximal
knowledge at the macro level, and yet is faced with trying to put together
an informative and useful product at the micro level.

Equally importantly, many people view "knowledge" to be something rather
more refined than "compilations of facts".

Jay.