[WikiEN-l] Re: Announcing a policy proposal

Skyring skyring at gmail.com
Mon May 16 22:02:52 UTC 2005

On 5/17/05, Roger Wesson <wikipedia at world-traveller.org> wrote:

> Not sure that changing distances on road signs would be that difficult or
> at all dangerous, it's just that being on an island we have no compelling
> reason to conform to the continental standard - there would be no benefit
> to be gained from a switch.

You might not drive overseas, but I'm sure that many other British
folk drive on the Continent.

I'm all in favour of standardisation in driving in the interests of
safety. I grew up with driving on the left, but it makes it an added
stress to drive on the right when I visit the USA. Likewise with
speeds.

We should have a global standard in this shrinking world of ours.

Speaking of astronomers, there's the case of Gene Shoemaker, who was
driving on a narrow outback Australian road when he unexpectedly
confronted an oncoming vehicle. The standard practice on these roads
is to move onto the shoulder so that both cars may pass each other.
But the Aussie driver automatically went left and Shoemaker
automatically went right, and that was it.

We should all drive on the same side. In the long run it works out
safer. And cheaper. As a right hander, I'd rather change gears and
fiddle with the radio with my right hand instead of the left like I do
now.

--
Peter in Canberra