[WikiEN-l] A cheerful Fool's compromise

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 18:56:37 UTC 2005

> I agree with Pete's point - I'd very much like to avoid the major fight which seems brewing
> over this (quite frankly, I regret ever taking this to a poll in the first place)

I think we would all like to avoid that!  And when I say "we," I
include the 15 or so admins who voted for featuring the article on the
Main Page tomorrow.  Raul's categorization of this as a disagreement
between a mob and a group of respected editors is wishful thinking.

The current proposal, to pretend the whole discussion didn't happen,
doesn't currently seem to be avoiding a fight... So here is my
suggestion:

Let's put up a Featured Article blurb about the European toilet paper
holder for the first half of the day tomorrow.  The
previously-scheduled FA blurb (which, as many have noted, has nothing
to do with April Fools) can replace it at midday.   The former blurb
can have "recent featured articles" links to other bizarre featured
articles, with the text "featured articles" linking to
[[nihilartikel]].  Can someone come up with a suitable banner saying
"Featured Article for '''April 1, 2005''' " to put at the top and
bottom?

Aside from that banner, and the "See also" section linking to
[[nihilartikel]] (and other relevant links?), the hoax article could
stay in Bishonen's namespace, as another minor clue for the observant.

--SJ

PS - I was in the library yesterday and to my surprise, found a
historical sketch including a toilet paper holder from a da Vinci
blueprint for a flush toilet; a sign that the community chose an
appropriate topic?  I have a photocopy to upload... it is remarkably
clear that Leonardo's raised valve design was meant to double as a
toilet paper holder.