[WikiEN-l] Friday's featured article

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 12:51:39 UTC 2005

--- Sj <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Those of you who have not delved into the Britannica may not know this
> (check out our Category of 1911 Britannica content for examples), but
> it is peppered with subtle wit.  An April Fools' hoax is by its nature
> something different -- a hoax!  an attempt to pull a fast one on the
> very people we set out to inform!  -- and this too has a long and
> noble tradition within the academic and scientific community.  The BBC
> (both radio and TV), Nature, Discover,  and Scientific American have
> all run regular April Fool's hoaxes (with, I might add, a straight
> face -- never acknowledging it was a hoax until the following
> day/issue).

EB 1911 is also famous for being very POV. Those publications you cited also do
not have to be extra careful about their perception - we do. Any hoax that I
find in the main namespace will either be moved or deleted as all vandalism
should.

I like the idea of having a separate hoax Main Page at [[Wikipedia:April 1,
2005]] and having any hoax "article" at [[Wikipedia:April 1, 2005/Foo]] with
'Foo' being the 'article' name. A large banner could be on the regular Main
Page pointing this the 'new and improved Main Page.'

-- mav