[WikiEN-l] April Fool's Day

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Thu Mar 31 00:02:25 UTC 2005

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>A few people have hoped that I would weigh in with an opinion.
>
>I'm torn.  I think it's really fun, but we're also a very serious
>project.  So I gave it some thought and I have this idea...
>
>Just for fun, why don't we have a game on Friday to create an
>alternative main page, linked from the main page?  "Click here to see
>our April Fool's Page."
>
>And on that page, we have fun with ourselves... nothing mean spirited
>against each other, but gently having some fun with our quirks.  So
>yes, the feature article can be the european toilet paper page.  But
>we also could have an article about Gdansk
>^h^h^h^hDanzig
>^h^h^h^hGdansk!
>Danzig, dammit!

A little timid, but not bad. It would require some policing so
that the disgruntled didn't use it to air grievances ("Gdank vs
Danzig? - that's not funny").

There could be a section "Articles We'd Like to See" - I was
thinking of a Tree of Life type article on the [[god-king]],
complete with taxobox showing dual nature, automotive habits
("known to drive Hyundais"), comparing with the closely related
god-emperor, and of course illustrated with a picture of
you-know-who.

Not the true April 1 hoax, but it's well-known that even
Swiftian wit on the net still needs the appended emoticon.

Stan