[WikiEN-l] April Fool's Day

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 23:42:51 UTC 2005

--- "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> A few people have hoped that I would weigh in with an opinion.
>
> I'm torn.  I think it's really fun, but we're also a very serious
> project.  So I gave it some thought and I have this idea...
>
> Just for fun, why don't we have a game on Friday to create an
> alternative main page, linked from the main page?  "Click here to see
> our April Fool's Page."

I appreciate the spirit of compromise, but it's unfortunate, because the sine
qua non of April Fool's Day is hoax, not just spoof. This would be like
explicitly inviting someone to their own surprise birthday party -- it's just
missing the point. I'd heartily support a hoax, but I would find a watered-down
"happy fun page" to be just embarrassing.

Anyway, one thing I've become convinced of: it's certainly not worth all this
debate!

-- Matt
[[User:Matt Crypto]]