[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 20, Issue 142

Blair P. Houghton blair at houghton.net
Wed Mar 30 14:20:20 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway said:

 >Absolutely. Why is this word so taboo? We all censor.

We all attempt to make the facts reflect the what we think is the truth.

Censorship isn't that.  Censorship is attempting to make the body of
facts reflect a POV we wish to present as the truth.  Censorship is
hiding the truth for other reasons.  It's a dirty word because it's also
political, and generally unconstitutional; the censorship is meant to
promote a particularly religious view of a moral issue that should be
innocuous in a free society.  It's an attack on the freedom of the
speaker by a body purporting a higher knowledge of morality.

Not all of us censor.  It should be a taboo.

--Blair