[WikiEN-l] Friday's featured article

Phil Sandifer sandifer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 30 13:55:02 UTC 2005

I have to say, I agree with Mav on this one. When the BBC posts fake
news, it's funny. When Fox News does it, it's less funny. We want to be
the BBC. A lot of people still see us as Fox News. We should therefore
expect that posting actually fake articles on the main page would not
be funny.

If we wanted to put VfD on the main page, that would, to my mind, be
fine and funny. If we wanted to do other hoaxes like last year's RFA
for Jimbo, that would be fine and funny. But fake content is not the
way to go with the public perception of the project being what it is,
and I'll certainly be among the first to speedy any fake articles I
see. At least, any that Mav hasn't gotten to first.

-Snowspinner