[WikiEN-l] Friday's featured article

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 07:32:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:45:17 -0800 (PST), Daniel Mayer
<maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Matt R <matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Equally, if there is a consensus that the hoax should go ahead, it will be
> > restored.
>
> I will not let any mob of people subvert our goal of creating an encyclopedia
> just because it it is popular in part of the community.
>
> The community exists to create the encyclopedia. When the community starts to
> pull pranks on our readers for nothing more than some type of thrill, then the
> community needs to be reminded of our goals.
>
> Now I may be wrong about the severity of this specific case but I am *not* at
> all wrong in the general.
>
> I defer this specific case to Jimbo.
>
> -- mav
A lot of established organizations create April Fool's jokes purely
for enjoyment. National news agencies often do this, even though their
goal is to provide people with accurate news stories. I don't see how
one joke per year would detract from our goals. As long as there's
obivous hints as to the nature of the article (like linking
[[Nihilarticle]]) I don't see a big problem with it.

-- MacGyverMagic