April Fool contest idea (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Friday's featured article)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 04:51:13 UTC 2005

--- Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> In the interests of adding to instruction creep :-), we ought to have
> some ground rules for April Fool's, maybe make a contest out of it,
> for instance the winner is the hoax that goes the longest without
> being detected. For instance:

This is the type of utter and complete nonsense that I'm talking about.  How
does this help us create the encyclopedia? How can you justify *encouraging*
people to create bogus entries?

Wikipedia is NOT A PLAYTHING! This project is not here for your enjoyment - we
are here to create an encyclopedia. If you happen to have fun while helping us
toward *that goal*, then great. If not, then let others work and be free of
this type of distracting nonsense.

-- mav