[WikiEN-l] Re: User:Neutrality NPOV/Abuse of Administrator Power

actionforum at comcast.net actionforum at comcast.net
Sun Mar 27 09:39:38 UTC 2005

> Thomas Haws wrote:
>
> >Silverback, you couldn't have said it better about adminship. If we were more
> effective at removing admins we could be more generous about installing them.
> >

> I have heard this line of argument a few times now from people
> advocating some form of quick and easy de-adminship without resorting to
> arbitration. In general, I think we already readily give adminship to
> those who are nominated, and anyone who has a close call on their first
> try will normally pass overwhelmingly after waiting a month or two. I
> invite anyone who believes the argument above to point me to a case
> where having an easier de-adminship process would have made the
> difference in the success of an adminship nomination.
>
> We could be more generous in seeking out candidates and making
> nominations, of course, but that's a different matter. There are many
> good users out there who are just waiting for a nomination.
>
> --Michael Snow

The process of getting an adminship is currently political, and religious, with confession of past offenses, absolution by votes, self promotion of past accomplishments and back slapping by cronies.   It some ways it is a bit unseemly.   It should be automatic and an opportunity to serve rather than for status.  Many serve just as well or better within editing privileges, although many admins make invaluable contributions to the community and should feel a sense of accomplishment.

          -- Silverback