[WikiEN-l] User:Neutrality NPOV/Abuse of Administrator Power

actionforum at comcast.net actionforum at comcast.net
Sat Mar 26 08:52:20 UTC 2005

> Rick wrote:

> >Oh, please.
> >
> >Why is it every time an admin does something that
> >somebody disagrees with, it's time to get out the
> >hounds and the torches and go raging after them with
> >the rest of the mob?

> >RickK
> >
> Because admins are expected to be above ordinary users; see [[WP:RFA]]
> for yourself. People vote on others not only based on their suitability
> for janitorial tasks but also on how polite, active, etc. the users are.
>
> That said, I do feel it's kind of stupid every time people act as if the
> world will end whenever an admin does something wrong AND THE ADMIN
> SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM OFFICE IMMEDIATELY. Admins are human too.

And the world won't end if they are removed from the admin office.  Those
that are truly called to serve are not necessarily REDUCED to EDITING,
there are plenty of opportunities to serve without admin privileges, and with
less temptations to use their power personally or vindictively that they were
apparently unable to resist.   Of course there are temptations at the editing
level too.  Moves without discussing it on the talk page, violations of 3RR,
etc.  Adminship should be easier to get, perhaps allow it to anyone with
a minimum edit experience, no 3RR or other violations for 3 months and
a willingness to agree to the terms.

There needs to be an easier way to take away admin status.   Perhaps anytime
time there are allegations of abuse as part of an arbcom case, there should
be a separate vote to accept on the abuse charge, where if that charge is
ACCEPTED, presumably after an initial look at the evidence, the admin privilege
is suspended, until the case is formally decided.  Of course, it is possible for
the admin abuse charge to not be accepted while the more normal charges
go forward.  It should be clear that there is zero tolerance for the abuse
of the admistrator privilege of serving, and that action will be quick,
and fortunately mild, they must serve in some other capacity if they
want to serve.

                             -- Silverback