[WikiEN-l] Re: Putting Wikipedia on a CD or DVD

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Mar 25 17:22:04 UTC 2005

Anthere a écrit:

> Another point recently mentionned... is that some editors think it is
> not the role of the Foundation to distribute content and that
> we should
> let other organisations do it. This will also solve the issue
> of legal
> responsability. On the other hand, if other organisations are
> the legal
> editors, how can we somehow get a benefit over the content
> distributed ?
> Or should we get a benefit ?

Glad you asked. Ten days ago I started working with a Unificationist, non-profit organization that is interested in incorporating much of Wikipedia's content into its own encyclopedia. (They are planning to commission an additional 5,000 or so articles, as well as donating thousands of World & I articles - all of this extra content will be GFDL!)

I have been (tentatively) offered the role of IT Director for this project.

Anyway, the IIFWP (or IRFWP) already has a legal department - and budget - big enough to handle the issue of legal responsibility - for their own selected subset of Wikipedia articles they will publish.

Surely whatever they LEARN while doing this could be passed on to us. They are a very nice bunch of people to work with.

Ed Poor, aka Oncle Edmond