[WikiEN-l] Putting Wikipedia on a CD or DVD

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 24 01:06:11 UTC 2005

Nathan Wong wrote:

>> How big is the "current article" database? (Excluding the text of all
>> previous versions, because some articles have been modified over 500
>> times!)
>>

> 1460 MB according to http://download.wikimedia.org/

That's for the current article databases for all languages combined,
though. English is 585MB, which should fit onto a CD with a little room
to spare. If one were frugal with the markup, I wonder if perhaps an
HTML version would fit. There'd be no images, though; you'd need to do a
DVD version (or multi-CD, maybe split up alphabetically like a
traditional encyclopedia :) for that.