[WikiEN-l] Putting Wikipedia on a CD or DVD

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 23 18:02:02 UTC 2005

Ed Poor wrote

>If Wikipedia received a donation of $100,000 - specifically earmarked
for CD distribution to Africa, COULD it do anything?

I have some experience at the YMCA Kampala (Uganda) - which has its own
computer room; and my mother is just back from a secondary school in the
coffee-growing area of Tanzania.  The latter has no working computers, and
is not likely to be able to get technician-level help.

Those are relatively typical, I suppose, of the capital city/up-country
constrasts in Africa, where things are relatively hopeful (for example, high
uptakes of primary education).

Any donated software is likely to find its way to institutions, rather than
individuals - that's one point.

Charles