[WikiEN-l] Blank maps

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sat Mar 19 23:44:57 UTC 2005

> From: Rick <giantsrick13 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia map of British Columbia
> --- "James D. Forrester" <james at jdforrester.org>
> wrote:
>> On Friday, March 18, 2005 7:56 PM, Rick
>> <giantsrick13 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How can a red dot on an otherwise blank map of
>> British
>>> Columbia with the county lines listed, possibly be
>>> copyrighted?
>>
>> One imagines that the contention is that the source
>> blank map is in fact
>> held in copyright.
>
> How is a blank map with the outlines of the counties
> copyrighted?  Any more than a list of counties would
> be copyrightable.
>
> RickK

Off-topic, yet, somehow, I feel, relevant:

He had bought a large map representing the sea,
  Without the least vestige of land:
And the crew were much pleased when they found it to be
  A map they could all understand.

"What`s the good of Mercator`s North Poles and Equators,
  Tropics, Zones, and Meridian Lines?"
So the Bellman would cry: and the crew would reply
  "They are merely conventional signs!

"Other maps are such shapes, with their islands and capes!
  But we`ve got our brave Captain to thank:
(So the crew would protest) "that he`s bought us the best--
  A perfect and absolute blank!"

   --Lewis Carroll, "The Hunting of the Snark"

And the iTunes Music Store sells completely silent tracks with DRM
protection for $0.99...

...and John Cage's publisher claims copyright protection for the work
4'33", consisting of that quantity of silence, and claimed infringement
and demanded a quarter of the royalties for a work by Mike Batt
consisting of a minute of silence, see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2133426.stm . (Batt
insisted his silence was original and not a quotation a portion of
Cage's work...) By the way, anyone who thinks that's ludicrous had
better be aware that it's nothing but... and should consider joining
the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/