[WikiEN-l] 500k press release

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 05:18:15 UTC 2005

Thanks for the feedback, Charles and Tony.  I'll make some tweaks in
an hour or so to make sure it mentions our amazing multilingualism,
and highlights our popularity /as a reference work/, if I can think of
a good way to slip it in.

I was planning to leave a couple days for people to set up a new
press-log, and think about who to contact; and then send out the
releases all at once this Sunday.  However, people are already
starting to write about us reaching the half-million mark, not least
b/c of Jimbo's presentation yesterday at e-tech.  See for instance the
Inquirer:
   http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21909

What do you all think?  Should we send out press releases
tommorrow/Saturday, to be as timely as possible?  Also, what was the
500,000th article?

+Sj+

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:29:17 -0000, Charles Matthews
<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Sj wrote
>

> > I've put up a draft press release to celebrate the English WP's
> > 500,000th article here:
> >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Press_releases/March_2005
>
> > It is not quite like our previous press releases; see what you think,
> > edit and improve on it.
>
> The current version looks pretty good to me - not a great deal I could see
> to add, and it seems tightly and professionally written (I've done a few
> press releases that have got into national newspapers).
>
> Just one aspect, and perhaps not so newsworthy.  There is not much emphasis
> given to the scholarly side.
>
> It could say a little more about WP's stature as a reference site.
>
> Charles

+sj+