I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton. Re:[WikiEN-l]Unreasonable block of user

Jim Cecropia jcecropia at mail.com
Thu Mar 17 00:00:44 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Rick <giantsrick13 at yahoo.com>

> --- "Blair P. Houghton" <blair at houghton.net> wrote:
> > One of my favorite parts of the whole debacle was
> > when GeorgeStepanek claimed I was a newbie.  His account is dated
> > December 10.  Mine is dated January 1, but if I look around I can find
> > edits I made over a year ago without having created a login.
> >
> > Quite the guffaw around my keyboard, I can assure
> > you.
>
> Jim Cecropia, please note this.  Your apologetics for
> him can end now.
>
> RickK

Well, that's kind of a tepid smoking gun. I thought you were going to catch him admitting he was Usama bin Laden or something.

If you've read my posts, I've made two points: (1) I believe in engaging "problem" users, not banning them; I've said much the same about others users (172, GBWR, Rei come to mind) that I've been at polar opposites with; (2) 3RR is a new and abusive procedure in a Wikipedia that is moving to control minority users instead of improving the content.

Your post here illustrates part of the problem. If you can "prove" Blair is a bad guy (and assert that I am trying to "prove" him a good guy) you don't have to deal with the substantive issues. I think that's called a straw man, and a sort of convoluted way of begging the question.

--C