3RR again (was Re: I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton. Re: [WikiEN-l] Unreasonableblock of user Blair P. Houghton by adminCryptoDerk)

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:58:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:53:44 -0700, Tom Haws <hawstom at sprintmail.com> wrote:
> Fresh thinking and good point against *enforcing* the 3RR.  But I don't
> completely understand the next paragraph.  Can you restate?
>
> >The problem with 3RR as it's being practiced now -- it assigns blame
> >much too early in the process, without even an attempt to stabilize
> >the situation and let cooler heads prevail.

Sure. Before the 3RR, the standard procedure was for an uninvolved
admin to come in and protect a page with an edit war, so no one could
edit it. The parties were forced to go to the Talk page to hash
something out. No one was declared right or wrong, no individuals were
singled out and the admin didn't care about the relative viewpoints.

After an unspecified amount of time the page would be unprotected so
the article could be updated.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)