I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton. Re: [WikiEN-l] Unreasonable block of user Blair P. Houghton by adminCryptoDerk

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Wed Mar 16 17:37:34 UTC 2005

Blair P. Houghton said:

> I couldn't, for example, discuss the accusation of 3RR violation at all
>  in the fora on which it was being discussed.

Yes, it would be nice to have the degree of granularity necessary to block
a user from, say, article space edits, but permit him to go to Wikipedia:,
Talk: and User talk:, where such things are commonly discussed.

> I had to join this mailing list (which honestly I'd rather not have
> cluttering up my in-box) to get ANY communication with the community.

Well, that was not strictly necessary.  Most sysops receive and read
email, I should expect.  It's part of the job.  There are about 400 of us.
 I do think we should have a mailing list of our own, though, so we don't
clutter up Wikien-l with stuff like this.

> Blocking someone based on a knee-jerk reaction to n biased accusation
> is  a very bad policy, IMO.

So it would be.  You have to admit, though, you've hardly been respecting
Wikipedia's policies and guidelines.  The way I see it, the block has
given you a chance to consider what you had been doing wrong--if you
choose to take it.