[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia hits the big time

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 15:26:59 UTC 2005

--- "Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> wrote:

> I was approached by the director of a foundation (with a multi-million
> dollar budget) to create a fork of Wikipedia leading to a print edition
> to be published no later than 2008. If I do this, maybe it will get me
> out of your hair? (The Cunctator wrote, "Rinse, wash, repeat.") But I
> worry whether a fork is the best approach, or even necessary at all.

The problem with a fork is that you'd leave most of the community behind, and
the community is A) large, B) full of experts in obscure topics, and C)
knowledgable about the state of existing WP articles.

Having "stable-development" branches for articles seemed an excellent idea, and
would effectively be an "in-project" fork...is this still under consideration?

-- Matt